Thursday, July 21, 2011

History

My name is Angela G. I am an Art History student at the University of North Florida. Over the summer, I was privileged enough to have the amazing opportunity of studying abroad. I spent one month in Italy, which was too short.
While abroad, I decided to enroll in a photography class. I figured I would be taking loads of photos anyway, so I wanted to have a theme or some sort of project to base my photos upon. Honestly, I had a hard time thinking of what I wanted to concentrate on, as far as a subject. There are so many amazing things in Italy, it is hard to choose just one idea.
However, about half way through our trip... the light bulb came on! While we were walking through Rome, I noticed that  A LOT of Italian women dye their hair bright candy apple, fire engine, RED! I thought it was amazing, these women who come from a strict Roman Catholic background would have such bright hair!
The women owned this look. They were confident. It was as if the red color of their hair reflected the personality of the woman. I decided they would be my subject.
I never went and spoke with these women face to face. I wanted to capture these Italian women in their own element, living their day to day lives. Since this is my first photography project, I feel pretty proud of moments I have been able to capture. I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment